Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Ramblings of a Sleep Deprived Mom

It’s morning although somehow it doesn’t feel like it. Billy Ray was awake briefly at 11 p.m. and several other points where I was up with him briefly. At 4 a.m. he came into my bed for a while and then went back to sleep for a couple more hours.

It occurs to me that when I write blog posts after nights like this I need to put a warning: “Content written while sleep deprived”. Then in my goofy, sleepy mood I am thinking we need bumper stickers than say “under the influence of a complex child”. However, I am not sure anyone but another parent of a complex special needs child would understand what that means.

Last night while I was waiting for Billy Ray to go to sleep I was composing a letter to a media a person I hope will consider helping bringing to light the life of complex special needs children. In Autism in the News we said that much of the media coverage is about High Functioning Autism and other higher functioning disabilities.

It seems important to help society as a whole get a glimpse into our experience not so that they will feel sorry for us. Understanding will go a long ways to change acceptance in the community and maybe even remove change of the governmental illogics I talked about in yesterday’s post.

Domestic abuse in spouses and child abuse is understood more because we have heard about trials in the media and had movies made about it. Very few people understand what it feels like when your child or sibling beats you up because they are confused or agitated. We hear about parents of disabled persons who murder their children without enough detail to hopefully prevent future occurrences of such cases.

While watching several of the clips from the funeral of Coretta King yesterday it occurred to me we need leaders such as the Kings who will fight to bring to light the needs of our children to the those who can change conditions. Lawmakers have made steps to change laws to benefit our children but they can’t regulate community acceptance.

Until tomorrow,
Peggy Lou Morgan
http://www.parentingyourcomplexchild.com/
http://www.lighthouseparents.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment